Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 219- A BEAR ENCOUNTER


We woke up to a beautiful peaceful morning and then when everyone was ready, we headed for a hike to Laural Falls. The falls were beautiful. The kids (and adults too!) had fun dipping their toes in the cold mountain water for a while. Just before we were going to head back down, someone spotted a bear coming down the mountain. Everyone thought that it was so cool.....and were trying to get a picture of her. And then, right behind her, comes 3 adorable cubs. But we all know that a mother bear is an aggressive bear. Well, the bear decided that it wanted to come to where everyone was playing in the water and there was some mild panic....it makes it all the more dangerous to be panicking when there is a cliff on one side of you, a waterfall on the other, and the only way to the trail is over a small, narrow bridge and the fact that there was a crowd of people there doesn't help. So people start shouting and making a lot of noise and such to scare the bear away. At that point I decided that I was ready to leave and I was looking to gather my kids and husband. And low- and- behold, Ella and Weston can't be found. And then I realize that Weston had taken Ella up the trail that the bear was blocking so she could go to the bathroom. I had no idea if he knew that there was a mama bear there and panic started to set in and then I see, coming slowly down the trail behind the bear, Weston and Ella. They had been just waiting patiently for the bear to move so they could come back down. The bear started to go back up the mountain and Wade, my brother-in-law, was on the trail pointing to where the bear was to make sure Weston knew where it was. And then, sorry this is so long, right as Weston is passing below the bear, the bear does something that scares Wade and Weston. And Wade starts to run and Weston picks up Ella and starts to run....but then puts her back down after a few steps and walks safely back to where we were. Needless to say Kimberly and I were so freaked out after that. I was doing all I could to fight back the tears...and at the same time I felt bad for that mama bear who was just trying to get her babies down to the water. All I have to say is that I have had enough bear encounters now to last me for a long long time....this is the 3rd encounter I have had in my life. I am very very very grateful that no one was hurt during this little adventure.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great pictures! You know I want copies. :)

Merry said...

Holy cow that would freak me out too! What fun adventures you are having!!!

Arlene said...

I almost didn't read this, but had to. What made W & W run? I just realized how tense your re-play made me.

I love your pictures! Afreaka looks beautiful! I'm sure glad you're all safe.

Unknown said...

Everyone should upload their photos to 4shared.

Alisha said...

So scarey!! Glad no one got hurt!

M:A:R:A said...

AHHHHH... I almost started crying as i read that!!!

But that will be a great story to tell.