Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Felting fun.

I bought this felt months and months ago and I finally got around to using it. What I made is kinda pointless, but it was fun to make and I like the feel and look of the finished product.

I felted rocks (which I had collected months and months ago, too)

What you need:

roving wool, rocks, hot soapy water, and cold water

So here is my roving wool and some semi flat rocks.

Photobucket

I selected a rock and then gently pulled off enough wool to go around the rock.
I loosly placed it around the rock. And then put it in the hot soapy water.

Photobucket
I then took it out and kinda tossed it back and forth between my hands until it cooled. Then I repeated the process of dipping it in the hot soapy water and tossing it in my hands until the wool had shrunk to the desired size. Then rinsed it in cold water and shaped it a little if it needed it.

Photobucket
And then set them out to dry....on a cooling rack or a towel.
And
Wala! The finished product.
Photobucket
I am thankful for being able to do this craft with my oldest. It made her feel so grown up to do something that I thought her sisters were too little to join in.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

They are neat! I love that Big A got to feel special, too.

Carolyn (Dragon) said...

Maybe this is a strange question, but what are the felted rocks for! Where did you get the roving wool, that's what the girls in my knitting group use to spin their own wool. They ones who do felting will go out to Goodwill, find an old wool sweater, wash it in hot water several times to cause it to felt, then cut it into pieces and sew it together to make a purse, or something else. they will cut it so there's fringe on the bottom, cut strips and braid them for a handle, etc.

Kimberly said...

Love your felted rocks!